If you’re an avid user of your smartphone and love to print things on paper, then you’ve probably wondered how to print from your Android phone. But in the past, this has been a tough ask because of the lack of technology that was available. However, times have changed and now there’s nothing stopping you from printing with ease. Here are some ways you can get started printing from your Android phone today.
What you need to know before you print
Before you get started, it’s important to note that there are a few requirements that need to be met. First, your phone needs to have Google Play Services installed. This means that your phone needs to be able to connect with the internet, so it needs Wi-Fi and 3G/4G data connections. It’ll also need Bluetooth and a compass sensor.
Additionally, your phone should be running on Android 4.3 or higher. This is because it’ll need access to the low-level hardware APIs for printing, which were first introduced in 4.3 and can only function with devices running on that version or higher of the operating system.
Why you should get a Bluetooth printer
When you’re on the go, it’s important to be able to print without having to lug around a bulky printer. This is where Bluetooth printers come in handy. You can find them for as low as $100 and they’re easy to set up.
These printers can connect easily with any device that has Bluetooth capability, which includes your Android phone or tablet. They are also compatible with all operating systems, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility issues when switching from one smartphone to another.
You’ll also be happy to know that these printers offer auto sleep mode, meaning you don’t have to constantly babysit it when not in use. It’s also capable of printing both documents and photos, so if you want a printer that can handle your creative projects and office tasks, this is the model for you!
Sign up for a Google Cloud Print account
The first step to printing from your Android phone is to sign up for a Google Cloud Print account. To do this, you’ll need to download the Google Cloud Print app and once it’s installed on your device, follow these steps:
- Choose “Add printer” at the top of the screen
- This will bring up a list of all of your printers available on your network
- Select “Add Cloud Printer”
- Follow the prompts that appear and then choose which printer you want to print from
- You’ll then be prompted with a code that needs to be entered into your smartphone’s settings app
- Copy the code into the box and when finished, click confirm in order for the printer to work properly
Connect your device to the correct wireless network
Before you can start printing, you’ll need to connect your device to the correct wireless network.
First, let’s start with connecting your Android phone to the Wi-Fi network that it’s connected to at home. If you’re not sure which Wi-Fi network your device is connected to, open up Settings and click on wifi. Your phone will tell you what Wi-Fi network it is connected to.
Next, go into Settings again and tap on Wi-Fi Direct or Personal Hotspot settings. This will allow your device to connect directly to other devices and use their wireless networks as well.
Once that’s done, go back into settings again and select Network Settings from the list of options near the top left hand corner of your screen. If this option is already selected then leave everything as is but if it isn’t selected then tap on Advanced settings and make sure that USB Debugging is checked off in order for your phone to be able to detect a printer when connected through USB cable.
Use Google Cloud Print on your Android phone.
Google Cloud Print is a free app that allows you to print documents, images, and web pages from your Android phone. Here’s how to download it:
- Search for “Google Cloud Print” in the Play Store on your phone.
- Download the app once it’s found.
- Open the app and make sure that “Allow printing from these devices” is checked off under the “Devices you want to allow” section of settings.
- Make sure that your printer is connected to Wi-Fi or LAN and then select “Add Printer.”
- You’ll then be prompted to connect your phone and printer with a Wi-Fi connection or a USB cable. Once connected, you can print documents from any website or application on your phone by selecting “Print.”